The trick to this is super ripe bananas that are rich in natural sugars and flavours, helping to create a delicious, flavoursome gluten free cake that’s low in refined sugars and keeps for a week.
- 2 large ripe bananas, mashed (using the back of a fork)
- 100g (4oz) butter at room temperature
- 50g chopped dates
- 75g sultanas
- 40g honey or maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp of gluten free baking powder (we used Doves Farm)
- 225g (8 oz) all purpose gluten free flour (we used Shipton Mill)
- Preheat your oven to 180ºC
- Line a cake tin (or ring tin) with baking paper.
- Beat the butter until creamy, adding in the vanilla extract then eggs then honey or maple syrup in that order. Don’t worry if the mix looks a bit curdled
- Sift in the flour and baking powder and combine along with the sultanas and raisins. If the mix looks a bit stiff add in a teaspoon or two of milk
- Spoon into your lined the baking tin and bake at 180ºC for 45 mins or until cooked. Test with a skewer: if it comes out clean, then it is ready.
- Cool in the tin for a few minutes before turning out onto a cake rack