This is a really easy and creative way to make delicious treats using up store cupboard goods. You can also use fresh ingredients such as grated fruit and vegetables. Here is a sample recipe, but feel free to experiment using the suggested ingredients from the list below. The mix should be slightly wet so that it doesn't fall apart and sticks to what ever you decide to roll it in. If your dried fruit has gone hard it is fine to use but soak it briefly in boiled water first.
Makes 8 balls
100g pitted dates
1 tsp stevia/erythritol sugar replacement (or you can use honey)
1 tsp cocoa powder
Either cocoa powder or desiccated coconut for finishing
1. Blitz the almonds in a food processor until they are a fine breadcrumb consistency.
2. Add the dates, sugar and cocoa and blitz until the dates are broken up. Tip the mixture into a bowl.
3. Place the coconut or cocoa powder in a separate bowl.
4. Roll and compress the mixture into balls the size of a large chocolate truffle, then roll each in the cocoa or desiccated coconut.
5. Place on a plate or if storing, in a Tupperware, where they will keep for two weeks in the fridge.
WET LIST: Prunes, dried apricots, figs, prunes, other dried fruit, grated apple, grated carrot, peanut butter DRY LIST: rolled oats, oat meal, any nuts and seeds, cinnamon, chilli, desiccated coconut, sesame seeds, coco powder.