This recipe is packed with nuts, seeds and fruit and makes a perfect topping for porridge or yoghurt with fruit or some of our chia fruit spread. I also like to use it mixed in with other types of wholegrain cereals.
1/8 tsp of salt
55g/ml sunflower/rapeseed oil
50g erythritol/stevia sugar replacement
150g nuts (e.g. cashew, brazil, almonds)
600g jumbo oats
125g seeds (pumpkin, sunflower etc)
75g dried fruit (raisins, chopped apricots etc.)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 160°C Fan/ Gas Mark 4.
2. Mix together all the syrup ingredients in a small saucepan. Place over a medium heat and bring to the boil.
3. Meanwhile, roughly chop all the nuts and put them in a large mixing bowl. Add the oats and seeds and set aside.
4. Pour the hot syrup over oat mixture and stir through so it is all coated.
5. Spread the granola over a large baking tray. It should form a layer no more than 2cm thick.
6. Bake for 45 minutes, turning and mixing every 15 minutes. When ready, it will have taken on a golden, honey-like colour. Don’t worry if it is soft; once it is cool it will become crunchy. Once the granola has cooled stir in the fruit and transfer to a sealed container where it will keep for 4 weeks.